Friday 9 September 2016

What to Take to University - 2016 Checklist

rljlowe | What to Take to University - 2016 Checklist


It's coming to that point in the year where University offers are coming through, everyone's choosing where to study and trying to get everything they need for halls. I remember scouring through various different websites and blogs trying to find out exactly what I should take with me but I eventually ended up having to mostly guess. So I decided to put together a list of the things I took to Uni with me. 


1// Bedroom
Let's be real here, you're going to be spending a lot of time in bed. I know in my experience that a lot of my first year was spent in bed either tired from rushing deadlines, or from being way too hungover (sorry Mum). So you're going to want to make this space comfortable and homely! Here are just a few suggestions on what to take with you.
  • duvet
  • pillows
  • bedsheets (plus spares for laundry day)
  • mattress protector
  • laundry basket
  • desk light
  • posters/ photos/ fairy lights
  • rubbish bin
  • extension leads
  • thin coat-hangers (halls wardrobes are SMALL)

2// Tableware
Because you're only really providing for yourself, there's no need to buy a full set of tableware with six plates! I've given just a basic list of what I found I needed but obviously feel free to get more of each if you feel like you might need it. 
  • 2 dinner plates
  • 2 side plates
  • 2 bowls
  • 2 mugs
  • 2 glasses
  • cutlery
You can generally find packs of cutlery in most homeware shops, I remember buying a set of cutlery from IKEA for just £1.50 and I'm still using it today. I've excluded any pots and pans from this section purely because our flat in first year was overrun with saucepans, frying pans, egg pans, woks! It's a good idea to try and find out who you'll be living with (most Universities will have Facebook groups for new students) and try to co-ordinate who will bring what to the flat. 

3// Bathroom
We all need a shower now and again, especially after those rowdy freshers' nights... So of course there will be a few bits to purchase for your bathroom.
  • bath mat
  • body and hand towels
  • toilet roll (spoiler: there won't be any when you first arrive)
  • toothbrush holder
  • plasters, paracetamol, lemsip
Those are just the essentials needed for your bathroom, and you might find you don't need to get a bath mat if you're sharing a bathroom. I didn't include bits like shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste; I think it's safe to assume you'll know to bring your favourite bits and bobs with you!


4// Stationery
When you do decide to attend the occasional lecture, you'll need some stationery essentials.

  • diary (for deadline dates)
  • notebook
  • small pencil case
  • pens!
  • laptop
I included a laptop in this list purely because I found it easier sometimes to take my laptop to lectures with me to make notes. I know it's not a feasible option for some people and the Uni will always have computers for you to use, it was just something that made my life a bit easier.


5// Boring (Useful) Bits
As you are now becoming an adult, there are some things you'll need to know or bring with you to register with doctors and dentists etc.
  • passport
  • driving license
  • NHS number
  • National Insurance number
  • bank account details
  • doctor and dentist details
  • check any insurance policies for your valuables, they might not be covered when you go away
  • 3 year railcard (works out cheaper than the yearly cards)
When picking a student bank account, the largest overdraft option might seem appealing but it's not always the best. I'm still paying back my overdraft a year after graduating and mine wasn't even the largest! Another thing that helps is a parent/ student shopper card. Asda had a system where parents could put money on their child's student shopper card to use in store, it's a great way to make sure you don't spend your food budget in the student bar...


Are you heading off to University this year?



post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment